I’m a little bit slow on sharing my August favorites, but the first week of September started out with a bang, and I’ve barely had time to breathe! Still, I definitely have some favorites that I’ve been excited to share, so here goes.
Things I Love:
- My new planner: the Day Designer! I’ve been following Whitney English for ages, and drooling over her beautiful Day Designer for quite some time. When her collaboration with Blue Sky became available at Target, I was so thrilled, and I’ve been eyeing the various designs at Target for months now. I finally decided which one I wanted, and so far, I’ve been loving it. The streamlined layout lends itself to daily productivity, and the aesthetically lovely design makes me want to just keep it open and next to me all day long – which is, after all, the point of a planner, right?! I love it.
- The library! For whatever reason, I sometimes forget that the library is literally one mile from our house – it doesn’t get much more convenient than that! I shared my library stack on Instagram a few weeks ago, and it pretty much sums up how excited I’ve been about rediscovering my library privileges. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but it’s worth it!
- Snail mail! I recently started writing letters with a couple friends, and I am remembering how delightful it is to receive a real, honest-to-goodness letter in the mail ~ such a sweet change from the junk mail that usually crowds our mailbox!
- My Moleskine journals. My sweet friend Audrey gave me my very first Moleskine for Christmas last year, and I absolutely adore writing in it. I had heard rave reviews about Moleskine journals for so long, but I’ve always been too cheap to buy one myself. Now I don’t know if I’ll ever write in anything else!
- Anthony Doerr. I reviewed All The Light We Cannot See last month on my blog, and after reading it, I resolved to read everything Doerr has ever written. So far, I read and thoroughly enjoyed Four Seasons in Rome, and I just started reading The Shell Collector, one of his short story collections. 2 down, 3 to go!
In the last month, I’ve read (this includes finishing a couple books that I’ve been working on for quite awhile)…
— Simply Tuesday by Emily Freeman
— Bloodroot by Amy Greene
— Four Season in Rome by Anthony Doerr
— The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
— Delicious! by Ruth Reichl
— The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
I have a fantastic “to be read” stack building right now, several titles fueling my continued WWII obsession, and I can’t wait to fly through these. I’ll definitely share thoughts as I finish them!
I’m still slowly watching episodes of Parenthood here and there, and still loving it. Austin & I are into the final season of Chuck, which has proven quite… different. We still enjoy it, but I can’t say that it’s quite as compelling now – although compelling enough that we certainly want to finish it! I’m also stoked for new seasons of all our favorite shows: Castle, Arrow, Flash, and Supernatural. Yay for fall TV premieres!
My sister was appalled to discover that I had yet to see Mockingjay, so we watched it together this week, and I was pleased to find that they finally did what the previous two films should have done: took a mostly-decent book and made quite a good movie out of it. Hunger Games is a total guilty pleasure for me, but I certainly enjoyed sharing this one with my sister.
I don’t have a lot of new music on my rotation this month, but my friend Katie alerted me to “Undisclosed“, a follow-up podcast to last year’s “Serial“, and I’ve been obsessed with it ever since. It’s certainly not the same caliber as Serial in terms of journalistic quality, but I found myself so involved with the case after listening to Serial, and it’s fascinating (in a heart-wrenching sort of way, admittedly) to hear how things have progressed since then. Certainly a must if you enjoyed Serial!
Additionally, I started a “Classical Guitar” playlist on Pandora, and it’s pretty much the most relaxing thing ever. Perfect for de-stressing at the end of the day.
What have you been into in August?! Tell me in the comments!